Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Chaos and Peace

Today I enjoyed a fun morning at the museum with Mr. Mister and my sister and nephews, while the sun was shining and the skies were blue (finally!). A short nap in the afternoon capped off a fairly peaceful day. The chaos of my day consisted mostly of tantrums and power struggles that are typical of a mom and two year old relationship.

Not that far away, however, real chaos reigned today. Bodies of earthquake victims in Haiti piled up, families wailed in grief, people searched tirelessly and anxiously for unaccounted for loved ones. Food was rationed because grocery stores are flattened, people slept outside of their homes either because the houses were unsafe or because they feared more damage due to the dozens of aftershocks that have occurred. Needless to say, this country that already lives in extreme poverty is overcome with suffering right now.

I vividly remember feeling this same tension between peace and chaos on September 12,2001 as I went for a run on a beautiful, sunny day in the midwest as New York City was in utter despair. It is crazy to me that two worlds can coexist at the same moment in time in such drastically different states.

Anyway, I've been following two blogs of missionaries in Haiti. In case you're interested in reading their accounts of what's going on, here they are:
One encouraging note is that my email inbox has been flooded with emails from so many organizations who are already mobilizing help or addressing the need through partnering organizations. Matthew 25: Ministries, One, Jesus in Haiti, the Salvation Army, and Charity:Water are just some of those who are already taking action. I encourage you to take action as well by praying for Haiti and/or giving to one of these organizations for their relief efforts.

I'm challenging myself to not be so content with the peace of my own sunny world that I forget the need of our neighbors.

No comments: