Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Ultrasound Reflections

If you missed the ultrasound pics in the post below, check those out before reading this.

My Top Ten Thoughts and Reflections on the Ultrasound
(in no particular order)

  1. It's amazing - to see the baby actually in there and moving. And to see the ultrasound tech measure the baby's kidneys and brain and the blood flow.
  2. It makes it more real - there's really a person in there!
  3. It melted my heart- I told my husband that the ultrasound makes me want to have 10 kids. The baby just looks so precious in there...so innocent and adorable even in hard to see black and white images. (then I come back to reality and remember that the baby eventually comes out and turns 2!)
  4. Ultrasound techs are really impressive - good thing she provided commentary the whole time. Every time I thought I had it figured out what we were looking at, she would say a body part at the opposite end of the body!
  5. It's really hard to "sneak a peak" - There's no way I could have been able to tell if it was a boy or a girl. She saw it and made sure it was healthy, but I had no clue when that was.
  6. It was good bonding time - I feel like I connected with the baby more and that Daddy did too. It makes it more real for him since he doesn't have the big belly and can't feel the baby's movement.
  7. It's extremely comforting - hearing that the measurements are all normal is a relief. Even though I had no real reason to worry, it's good to know that my occasional sneaking of a Diet Coke or feta cheese didn't have permanent effects!
  8. I might actually be earlier - she thinks I may be due a couple days or even a week earlier than May 4. But it's not enough to officially change my due date. This is way better than being told I'll be later. No pregnant woman wants to hear that!
  9. CALM and LOW KEY - these were the words she used to describe the baby! Now that made me smile.
  10. The intricacies of life growing inside of me have to point to a Creator. I never cease to be blown away by how perfectly life is formed, developed, and sustained in my body. The Word says that God knit each one of us together in our mother's wombs. To see that in action is humbling and awe inspiring. I almost cried as I watched the image of my baby's brain on the screen, knowing that He formed that brain and has already wired it for specific purposes. Maybe it will be an artist's brain or a business brain or a teacher's brain....but the Creator of the universe has already intimately created it and formed it with unique giftings.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Yay baby! So glad you're having a healthy...person:)

It's so true about babies pointing to a creator. I remember right after we had Mary, Ian said, "Man how can you NOT believe in God when you see that and learn about the whole process???" That's not exactly what I was thinking at the time:) But it was a comment that has stuck with me!

Greg and Mary Lynn said...

Very thoughtful posting - and so true! So neat to see your ultrasound pictures - what a little miracle.

Very excited for you and your family...and Mr. Mister doesn't even realize all the fun in store for him with a little sibling!!