Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Give Clean Water

I'm taking another quick break from Mr. Mister stories to step on a little soapbox for a minute. Did you know that America spends approximately 500 billion dollars on Christmas each year? And did you also know that for a tiny fraction of that - only $5,000 - a well can be built that will bring clean water to an entire community of people in Africa?

That idea is crazy to me. People die daily from the lack of clean water. And something can actually be done to solve it. For not that much money. I can't get past the idea that clean water shouldn't be a luxury....it's a basic need.

There's a great organization called Charity:Water that builds wells in these places where people drink from and bathe in puddles of muddy water. I set up a personal fundraising website through Charity:Water to try to raise $500 by Christmas, which will bring clean water to 25 people.

I'm not really asking you to donate, although if you want to I'd love for you to be a part of what I think is a really valuable project (I'm only $100 away from my goal). Mostly, I just want to raise awareness of the fact that not everyone can turn on their faucet or shower, that the alternative is usually a dirty, muddy, disease-giving puddle of water that people walk miles to draw from, and that most importantly, it's really a simple problem to solve.

So I encourage you to check out my personal website, called A Glass of Clean Water

There's a great video that explains more of what I'm trying to say, along with more of my thoughts written there, and an explanation of what $500 can do.

Thanks for letting me share.

1 comment:

none said...

Great post. The amount of consumerism (and stress surrounding shopping, wrapping, mailing gifts, etc...) around Christmas is truly disgusting! Have you guys thought of anything creative to put the focus where it belongs--on Jesus--during Christmas?