Thursday, January 15, 2009

Oil Spill

The other day I had a friend over. As we chatted in the family room, Mr. Mister was playing. I saw him walk into the kitchen but since our house is so baby proof, I don't really worry about him going out of my sight. Soon, however, I realized it was too quiet. I entered the kitchen to find him holding a bottle of popcorn oil upside down, pouring it all over the floor, and standing in a huge puddle. He was even stomping in it, as if he was playing in the rain. When I gasped, he just looked at me as if this was a normal thing to be doing. Which I guess for a curious toddler, it is.

I completely froze at the sight of the mess as I thought about cleaning up oil and washing it out of his clothes. As I sat there staring at him, my friend (mother of 4) went into action, taking the bottle out of his hands and lifting him out of the puddle...both great ideas that I couldn't seem to come up with in my moment of shock. I stripped him down to his onesie and started cleaning up the mess. I wish I took the advice that I read on another blog about taking a picture of the mess so you can laugh later. But I didn't even think of getting the camera.

Thanks to a quick application of stain stick, the oil came out of his shirt on the first wash. I have to try again on the pants, but it worked much better than I thought.

As for our babyproof house....I think we need to fix the broken lock on the lazy susan!

No comments: