Tuesday, November 13, 2007

My First Race

One of the last races I ran last year before I got pregnant was the Matthew 25 Ministries Fighting Hunger 5K. I thought it would be appropriate, then, to make that my first post baby race. And since my sister is now employed part time with Matthew 25, she was running it and we make great running partners. A few other friends from church were also running it, so I figured it would be fun just to be there with everyone.

So I've been "training" for the last couple weeks, which mostly consisted of running on the treadmill while Mr. Mister was napping and an occasional outdoor run on the weekends when Mark was home to watch him. According to the treadmill, I was running at the fastest a 10 minute mile, but sometimes slower than that. But my goal wasn't to win the race, it was just to have fun running with my sister and to get back into a little competition.

The race was this past Saturday. It was a beautiful sunny morning and the weather didn't feel as cold as the 30 something degrees that it was. Karen and I had a great time running and chatted the whole way. We hardly looked at our watches and really just enjoyed the run together. Needless to say, I was pretty shocked when we crossed the finish line at 27:45...an 8:57 mile! The Flying Pig marathon may not be next on the horizon, but it was definitely encouraging and makes me excited to keep running.

The best part was that my husband and my son were at the finish line, cheering me on.

1 comment:

none said...

Yay! I'm proud of you! It probably feels really good to get back in the swing of running. Who knows--maybe the Flying Pig half marathon is in your future.