Monday, November 23, 2009

the paradox

The parenting paradox - Mr. Mister can drive me so crazy but I just can't help but love him so much. For example, on Saturday, I was ready to turn in my mommy resignation letter. Today, I couldn't get enough of him and everything he did made me laugh and melted my heart.

Saturday morning started with Mr. Mister spilling nail polish on the carpet and went down hill from there. And while the spill may have begun out of mere curiosity, he continued pouring it out despite me saying no and stop until I could finally grab it out of his hands. Later, he refused to walk home from the pond by our house, despite any attempt I made at getting him home. So I had to carry him. While he was kicking and screaming. Weighing 35 pounds in my 17 week pregnant arms. It hurt my back and made me very unhappy. When we got home, He deliberately stuck his mud (maybe goose poop) covered thumb in his mouth after I told him not to touch anything until we washed his hands.

It's the closest I've come to really losing it with him. Thankfully, for all of our sakes, we had already made plans for him to spend the night at Grandma and Nonno's house that night. Knowing that kept me sane the rest of the day.

After that time away and after enjoying sleeping until 9am, I was ready to re-assume my mommy duties. In fact, my sister noticed the next day how refreshed and happy our entire family seemed. That is why moms (and dads) should feel no guilt about enjoying a little break every once in a while. Sometimes that can be the best way to love your kids!

2 comments:

The Hamons said...

oh, i feel your pain! Evan's two-ness has come out quite a bit lately, though I think it has more to do with the day care we just removed him from...!!! Yay for grandparents!!!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for sharing this Michelle.. you are a great patient parent for Marcos... You will be happy these battles are over dirt in his mouth rather than in 10 years it being a cigarette or something! :)