Monday, July 27, 2009

Swimming Lessons

Today was Mr. Mister's first day of swimming lessons. His class is called the "Guppies." It was really cute to see 10 little toddlers all in their bathing suits lined up in the pool!

I was unsure as to how he would do. He loves the pool and doesn't like to be told he can't do something, so I envisioned him wanting to jump off the side over and over and then screaming when I tried to get him to do the structured activities.

But he ended up doing very well...much better than I expected. He did have his eye on the big blue twisty water slide the whole time, but he actually did okay when I redirected him to what the teacher was saying. He liked laying on his belly and kicking and he loved blowing bubbles. He didn't like doing anything on his back. The highlight for him (which wasn't even part of the class) was when he realized he could walk in the water because he could touch the bottom. The two pools we swim in most often don't have a shallow end, so this was a new feeling for him. After he figured it out, he pretty much checked out of class and wanted to just walk around. He was very proud of himself!

So one day down, 7 to go. I hope that's not too many days. I like it because I like swimming and it's something fun for us to do together. And it's the perfect activity to make him tired enough for a long afternoon nap!

1 comment:

The Hamons said...

I can't wait to try swimming lessons with Evan (hopefully once we get to Denver). He LOVES the water