Friday, May 8, 2009

The Butterfly Show

It's been a while since I've had a really good Mr. Mister story. And now I have one. Yesterday, Mr. Mister and I met my sister and her boys at the Butterfly Show that comes to the Conservatory downtown every year. It's really cool - they have thousands of butterflies flying freely around the greenhouse. They fly all around you and sometimes even land on you. And these are no ordinary butterflies. They are exotic species from India.

So we go up to the door to go in and the sign says, "Butterflies may land on you if you remain quiet and still." That should have been my first warning that I brought Mr. Mister to the wrong place. He doesn't do quiet and still.

As we walk into the greenhouse, Mr. Mister runs in and immediately starts climbing a fence and trying to grab the flowers it's protecting. Meanwhile, cousin Ney Ney is clinging to my sister's leg saying "no butterflies" even though he's been talking about going for the entire day.

Ney Ney then finds an older girl and heads right to her (he finds an older girl to follow everywhere they go!). She has a butterfly in her hand, which she tries to hand to him. He pulls his hand away, the butterfly falls to the floor, landing right under Mr. Mister's shoe as he comes down from the fence. The woman next to me frantically tries to warn me as she sees the whole thing happening, but I can't react quick enough and Mr. Mister steps down on the exotic Indian butterfly, crunching it beneath him.

The little girl who was just holding the butterfly stares with wide eyes at her friend now laying motionless on the ground while the woman tries unsucessfully to save it. Mortified at what she just witnessed, the woman gives us the bad mom look and moves along.

While I did feel bad for what happened, my sister and I couldn't help but laugh at the fact that all of that happened in the 1 minute we were in there. It was such a classic experience with our boys. I guess that's what happens when you bring a "bull in a china shop" into an exotic butterfly show.

The day didn't get too much better for Mr. Mister as he splashed in the fountain, tried to pull all the flowers off, and then pulled some grass up to through over the bridge into the water below. Needless to say, it was an adventure and maybe not the best place to bring my energetic little man. But, we had fun with my sister and the boys and it makes for a good story!

Here are pictures from the day:








Posted by Picasa

No comments: