Thursday, January 5, 2012

Highs and Lows

We have learned this about Mr. Mister's personality:
His highs are very high and his lows are very low.

Today was a day of mostly low lows.  After hearing that he tried to bite someone at school (thankfully the teacher caught it in time), our day just got crazier.  After lunch he went to the bathroom and was gone a long time.  When I went to check on him, the door was locked and he told me he was sitting in water (at least he's honest).  When I finally made my way in, here is what I found:



He said, "I just wanted to get baptized."   While that's a really sweet intention and I appreciate his creativity and adventurous spirit, I also was frustrated by the water everywhere and the fact that he would think this is okay to do.  Thankfully, Daddy grabbed the camera and reminded me that we would laugh about this at some point.

The craziness only progressed with disrespectful words, disobedience, and wild antics that are uncommon even for him.  I was at the end of my rope when I put him in our room with books for some quiet time.  Thankfully, I found him sound asleep not long afterwards.  After feeling completely drained by the afternoon with him, I fell asleep as well.

Those were the lows.

Then tonight when I was putting them to bed, Mr. Mister asked me to tell them the story of Jesus calming the storm when he was in the boat with his disciples.  I told him my summarized version, which I thought was pretty good.  Then he said,"I'm going to tell you that story now but I know all the words."

And he went on to tell me the entire story word for word from the Jesus Storybook Bible.  We gave the boys the audio version for Christmas and we listen to it all the time in the car.  He completely memorized that story, complete with the inflections that the narrator uses.

I was amazed.  That is a complete gift from the Lord.  It was such a reminder, once again, that God is already at work in Mr. Mister's life and as one of our friends constantly reminds us, he's going to do great things.  That's probably why there are such intense battles now.  So in the battles, when I am overwhelmed by how hard the lows can be,  I want to remember that there is more going on than I see.  That someday I will look back and see all that God has accomplished in and through the life of this intense little guy who I just love so much.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Steph said...

Want you to know what an encouragement you are to me! Anna is SO much like mr mister and it's so good for my heart to read your words and hear your experiences just a few steps ahead of me. Thanks for sharing!

The Hamons said...

I needed this reminder again today. I need to be reminded that Evan's passion and intensity can take him places. That we don't need to squelch it but help him navigate it. It's so easy to get up in the frustration of it's current form! Yup, still do wish our boys could be "best buddies" (as he calls his friends!)