Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Boys


I try to limit the number of blogs I read, because I could easily spend all of my down time reading them. But here is a new one that has been so worth my time. It's called The MOB Society: For Moms of Boys by Moms of Boys. It has only been in existence for about a week, but I have already gained much insight from it.

I love the mission of the women who contribute to it: "Reaching the hearts of boys for the Gospel and preparing a generation of men to love the Lord." That is my desire in raising our boys - to not just raise well behaved kids who eventually become responsible adults, but to raise boys who know and love Jesus and who spend their lives for the sake of the Gospel. It is both a privilege and a huge responsibility to raise boys to be men like this. I hardly have the words for it. I am often overwhelmed by how much I desire that for my sons, but how hard it is to walk it out in daily life.

I am also sometimes overwhelmed by how hard boys can be. Especially because I'm not one and I don't always understand them. So I daily face the tension of wanting to love them in a way that models the love of the Father and not always knowing exactly how to do that. How do I remain full of compassion, grace, and patience in the face of challenge and frustration? How do I keep an eternal perspective when it seems like I can barely make it to nap time? How do I let boys be boys when that might be uncomfortable for me? What does it look like to foster their sense of action and adventure, even when that might not seem safe? How do I embrace loud and dirt when I really prefer quiet and clean? How do I allow them to be rough and tough and wild but also understand the value of obedience and respect? How do I encourage them to be all that they were created to be? These are just some of the questions I think about regularly as I try to figure it all out.

So that's why I really like this blog. Several different women contribute to it, which provides a variety of perspectives and experiences. But all are written with the goal of helping moms of boys answer these tough questions as we seek to raise up boys who will become men who love the Lord.

Here is part of one post that I really liked. If you relate to any of this in any sector of your life, I encourage you to check out this blog.

That’s what most parents want for their children…safety. But the truth is that being safe and being brave do not really go hand in hand, because God does not call us to a life of safety. We as mothers of boys have to be careful not to stifle the brimming warrior in our little men. We should keep them safe the best we can, but also encourage adventure. My prayer is that my fears would not keep my boys from playing with sticks and stones because I am worried they will break their bones. That I would not keep them from climbing trees and building forts, digging in dirt while wielding a cowboy gun or knight’s sword because I am concerned with messes, dirt, and blood.
(From the post He Does Me In)

4 comments:

hawleykj said...

I'm liking that blog, too.

By the way, did you ever think of a blog name for the little man?

hawleykj said...

p.s. love the pic. with the big/little bros shirts on. so cute!

Elizabeth said...

i am glad you are loving it! :)

Nancy said...

You ask such great questions. When you figure out the answers, write a book because moms have been asking those same questions for centuries. All these thoughts mean that you are a great mom so keep looking for answers and asking more questions.

How about "Little man" for the blog name? Got the idea from kj