Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Neighborhood Conversations

We took a short wagon ride around the neighborhood tonight before dinner. In the ten minutes we were out, we had two interesting conversations with people we passed.

Conversation 1 (a man at the tennis courts):
Man (after Mr. Mister smiles and makes funny faces at him): I don't know what it is about me, but all kids just love me. They're always so happy to see me.
I didn't have the heart to tell him that Mr. Mister loves everyone he sees and that he made the same faces at the dog we just passed a minute ago.
Man: I have twins who are 2 and a half.
Me: Wow, they must keep you busy.
Man (laughing): No, I don't do anything. My wife, she takes care of everything. I just play with them.
Me (in my head): I'm not really sure what to say to that. At least he's honest. I decide that "Well, have a good night" might be a little less confrontational than telling him what I'm really thinking. Although his wife may have thanked me if I had told him the truth instead.

Conversation 2
Woman:
Oh, he's cute. How old is he?
Me: 11 months.
Woman: My friend has one who is 17 months.
Me (in my head): I'm not really sure what to say to that. Possible answers: My sister has one who's 18 months? My friend has one who's 7? My neighbor has one who is a senior in high school? I decided on a generic response like, "They are cute, aren't they?" and left it at that.

No comments: