Thursday, April 19, 2012

40

Mr. Mister likes to look at signs as we drive down the road and he wants to know what all of them mean.  Today he asked about the one with a grocery cart and a train.  Usually I can figure them out by his description even if I don't see it but I was stumped by that one.  I drove by it again later and made sure to look.  It was a picture of a fire engine indicating a fire station ahead.  Or a grocery cart and a train.

Further down the road he asked, "What is that sign with the 40?"  
My answer: "That is called the speed limit.  That's how fast I'm allowed to drive. 40 mile per hour."

And as soon as I gave that answer, I knew what was coming next....

"Is that how fast you're driving now, Mom?"

Ummm.... and I tried to figure out how to explain that even though I was going 45 it was okay because really you can go a little over the speed limit.  But that brings on a lot of issues - 1. It's not really okay even thought we all assume it is.  2. He wouldn't be okay with knowing I wasn't following the rules.  3.  It shows him that you don't really have to obey the rules.  

So I went with "No."  And that was good enough.  For now.  Good conviction, buddy.  And good thing you can't see my speedometer from where you sit all the way in the back!

No comments: