Monday, February 7, 2011

9 Months

I missed Mr. Newton's 9 month birthday post.  But I'm sure no one was on the edge of their seat waiting for it.  Last week was crazy here as he experienced his first real sickness.  (not counting the 3 month long cough that has thankfully not resurfaced over the last month).

He came down with a fever the day after we got home from the water park. We ended up at the doctor after two days of a fever, with a peak of 104.  It was some kind of virus that we just had to wait out with some good doses of ibuprofen.  Today, a week later, he is finally back to himself.  A week with no smiles was rough!

It was also a rough week because on Wednesday, he stopped nursing, completely out of the blue.  On Tuesday he ate five times and on Wednesday, zero.  He would just arch his back and cry whenever I attempted to feed him, as if I was trying to cut off his toes. And that was that.  He has not nursed since.  

The whole experience has been pretty emotional for me, one that probably only nursing moms can really understand.  He never took a bottle and rarely took it from a sippy cup, so for the last nine months, it's just been me feeding him. And I was planning on continuing that at least til he turned 1.  So the abrupt end was really difficult.  I don't like change to begin with and wasn't at all prepared for this.  I felt rejected, frustrated, sad, shocked, etc.  I thought he may start again after he felt better, but I have accepted the fact that he is done. 

In addition to the emotional side was the logistical frustrations of pumping, heating milk, washing sippy cups, etc.  Heating milk in the kitchen at 4am is miserable. It was so easy to just nurse him and then go right back to sleep.  But hopefully there will be no more 4am wake ups anymore...the pediatrician said we can push him to sleep twelve hours now, which he should be able to do.  

I guess the silver lining is that with it there is some new freedom.  Some good friends watched our kids Saturday night and sent us out on a much needed date.  It was nice to not have to worry about getting home to feed Mr. Newton before bed.  But, I'd still rather be breastfeeding.  

Another friend reminded me that in 20 years I probably won't even remember this and if I do, I sure won't be upset about it anymore.  That's good wisdom.  

So, that has been our week.  I have no cute 9 month picture to post.  Maybe now that he's happy again I will take some new pictures!

1 comment:

Jess said...

Oh that is so hard!!! Something about that bond and if you aren't ready for it I think that would be very tough! You are such a good momma :).