Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Holding On

Thanks to all of you who left encouraging comments on my last post.  It's so good to remember that other moms are in the same boat and that experienced moms say to play first and clean later (thanks, Mom).

I was refreshed tonight by the sweetest moment with Mr. Mister.  After he was tucked in bed and the lights were off, I leaned over to give him a kiss and he put his arm around my neck and whispered in my ear, "I'm holding on so you don't go anywhere."

I teared up right then and considered it ironic that those are the same words that go through my mind daily.  Even in the chaos, the challenges, the disobedience and tantrums...I just want to hold on to him so he doesn't go anywhere.  Kindergarten...college...everything in between.

So I cuddled up with him in his bed and we talked and prayed together. My heart felt such peace in that moment as well as a tiny ache in knowing that he will indeed go somewhere some day.  And it will be good because that's how life is supposed to work.  But I will treasure these sweet moments along the way.

1 comment:

hawleykj said...

I think that's just like when "Mary treasured these things in her heart." Not much has changed in 2000 years. Mommas still treasuring the moments with their little ones.