Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Simplicity

So now that I am in baby mode, I am remembering just how many things a baby uses. As I washed bottles and pacifiers and blankets and towels and many other things today, I was a little overwhelmed. And I've had to be creative in storing a lot of these things because last time it was just Mr. Mister's things. Now it's bottles and plastic toddler cups, tiny diapers and size 6 diapers, onesies and 3T clothes. It's a good challenge though and I'm kind of enjoying reorganizing everything to make it work.

In the moments that I wish we had an extra bedroom so Mr. Mister and Baby didn't have to share or when I feel like our house is just too small for all this stuff, I remember my friends in the Neza garbage dump outside of Mexico City. I watched those moms raise many kids in one room shacks without any of the "necessities" that seem to take over my house. With heaps of garbage as a playground, a tattered blanket as a door, and too many flies to count buzzing through the room, they somehow raised happy and healthy kids. It's really good for me to remember Maribel and Marta and so many others...it reminds me to live simply and to enjoy simplicity.

2 comments:

Steph said...

thanks for the reminder. good word.

Lindsey said...

Great reminder- we are so blessed.