Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Mixing Paint

Yesterday morning, Mr. Mister and I spent a while painting some cards for people. It was part of this week of rest and was a very refreshing break to all our running around. I realized that although adding a baby will be so wonderful, this one on one time with him will be harder to come by. So I really just enjoyed watching him paint.
As soon as I poured out the paint onto the paper plate, he said, "I'm going to mix it!" And of course, because I like things nice and neat and I didn't want the card to be a big blob of brown, my first response was, "Why don't you paint for a little bit and then we'll mix it." As soon as I said it, I wanted to take it back. He's 2 1/2....mixing paint is not only a fun experiment, it's also such a great way to learn and play and interact with a world that's not black and white like I want it to be.
It was one of those moments that I realized how intentional I need to be in allowing him to be himself and not just an extension of me. I'm excited to foster his individuality and creativity and to see who he becomes.
So I took it back and told him to go ahead and mix it and have fun. And of course, it all turned out beautifully.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment: