Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Real Life

I have a lot more cute pictures to post of Mr. Mister's other birthday party and a day at the baseball game. But I feel like I need to put those aside for a day and share what's been going on in the lives of three different people. These three very different experiences have all restored an eternal perspective in me. A reminder that life here on earth is not always as fun as birthday parties and baseball games. Life can be hard and real. And thankfully, this life is not all there is. In Jesus, there is HOPE in a life to come that has no more pain, tears, or suffering.

Kate McRae
She's 5 years old and is battling a brain tumor. I've been following her story on CaringBridge and have often cried as I read about the uphill battle her family is in. My heart breaks as her parents write about the experience of watching their daughter suffer while at the same time clinging to hope in Christ and in the Lord's power to heal Kate. Her story is a dose of reality, as she went from a spunky 5 year old girl enjoying summer days at the park and the pool to a weary chemo patient fighting for her life.

Heidi and David
These are two college students at Virginia Tech who were recently murdered at a state park near the campus. Heidi was also the roommate of my friend's sister. The police belive the shooting was random, which obviously turns the lives of many people upside down. The pain with which Heidi's roommate writes is heavy, and I can't imagine how much more so is the pain of their parents. They both loved Jesus and I am certain that they are with Him now for eternity because of their relationship with Him, but that makes the shock of it no less real.

Katie
She's 20 years old and lives in Uganda as a mother of 13. She left her family, the boyfriend she loves, and her comfortable life in the U.S. to live in Uganda where she loves and cares for orphans. She started a ministry that sends 400 destitutely poor children to school and feeds hundreds more. Her faith is incredible and her experiences will blow you away. What she does seems impossible, but she just trusts in Jesus and does what He asks her to do. The link I posted above is to a post on her blog that describes her journey to where she is now. Here is another link to a post that is heart-wrenching and challenging at the same time. I don't think you can read it and not be changed.

So there are the three experiences. Kate makes me remember that life can change at any minute. Heidi and David remind me that we are not guaranteed tomorrow. Katie reminds me to live for what matters and what lasts. I guarantee that even though her daily life is difficult and painful, it is fulfilling and satisfying.

2 comments:

hawleykj said...

puts life in perspective, doesn't it! thanks for the reminders of how precious life is.

ps. i didn't know you followed Katie's blog, too!

Amy Brunner said...

Thank you for that post! Very touching!