Thursday, April 23, 2009

Teacher of the Year

Last night I went to a banquet where my mom was honored as Teacher of the Year for her building, along with the teachers from the other buildings in her district. She teaches in the special needs preschool where she has both typical students and those with special needs in her class. The wide variety of abilities and needs makes her job very challenging, but she does it so well. Her students are blessed to have her in their lives. I wish Mr. Mister could be in her class!

I was so proud of her as she stood on stage and as her principal shared why she is their teacher of the year. I had tears in my eyes as the principal described how hard she works, how much she cares for her students and their parents, and how much knowledge she brings to her fellow teachers.

I have known for a long time that she is an excellent teacher, as I've seen the hours she puts in writing IEPs, coming up with new ideas, creating activities, and communicating with parents. I am so happy that she was recognized in front of her district. She is very deserving and I'm so proud of her! Congratulations, Mom! I love you!

No comments: