Saturday, April 12, 2008

Toys

How does Mr. Mister know the difference between his toys and real objects? And why are the real things always more fun than his toys? Examples...

He was sitting in the grocery cart while I was shopping. I brought his "Who Loves Baby" book that has pictures of our families and even used links to clip it to the cart so it wouldn't fall on the dirty floor. He loves that book and smiles every time he sees pictures of his grandparents. But it got pushed to the side in favor of trying to eat the handle of the shopping cart (I know, so gross. I forgot the cover again), grabbing my coupon holder, trying to take the shopping list out of my hand, etc. Why are those things so much more interesting than his fun book?

And when we sit on the floor and play, he is surrounded by brightly colored, fun sounding toys made just for babies like him. And he has fun playing with them. Until he sees my cell phone, our cordless phone, or the remote control. Then he drops whatever he's playing with to put those things in his mouth and he doesn't put them down until I take them. Grandma and Grandpa T bought him a plastic cell phone that flips open and dials and everything. Why is that not as interesting as the real thing? And how does he know that mine is real and his isn't? We decided that when he sees bright colors or hears fun noises, he knows it is meant to entertain him....he's figured us out.

No comments: