Monday, October 8, 2007

I'm a Runner Again...Kind Of.

On Sunday I reached a new milestone in my postpartum recovery process....my first run since January! Well, it was really a run/walk....or maybe a jog/walk. Anyway, I've been wanting to run for a while now but was putting it off for three reasons:

1. I was waiting to be cleared by my doctor...didn't want any additional tearing going on.

2. I dreaded the painful-getting-back-into-running phase where it seems like your body has never done this before.

3. I didn't want anyone to see me in this attempt... I figured it wouldn't exactly look natural.

So early Sunday morning it was, when people are either already at church or sleeping in (and when it was only 75 degrees instead of 90 like it would be later). I left Mr. Mister with daddy and hit the road. I decided to walk when it was hilly and run when it was flat. No need to overdo it on the first day. I should have chosen a more hilly route. I ended up running...uh, let's be honest -jogging....for 20 minutes which was a lot more than I thought I would. I tried not to think about the short distance I covered in that time...I knew I was a long way from my Thanksgiving Day race pace last year. And when 20 minutes of jogging felt like a great workout, I wondered how the heck I ever ran 4 hours and 27 minutes just about a year and a half ago. But I'm not at all discouraged...I know full well that a lot has happened in the last year and that I can't compare pre-pregnancy Michelle to post-partum Michelle.

I have to be honest, even though I am very excited to run again, I will miss my morning walks. They're definitely more relaxing and they take so much less time because you don't have to do things like stretch before and shower after. Although I probably still won't shower after...showers are much harder to come by these days. A luxury, not a necessity.

No comments: