Monday, October 8, 2007

6 Week Checkups

Mr. Mister and I both had our 6 week checkups last week. Mine was pretty uneventful, which is good. The doctor says everything is healed and my continued soreness is to be expected with the degree of the episiotomy I had. So I guess it will be a couple weeks before I am without pain again....that will definitely be a relief.

Mr. Mister's checkup went very well, minus the shot he had to get at the end...more on that in a minute. He weighed in at 12 pounds, 3 ounces....that's a gain of 4 1/2 pounds in 6 weeks and puts him in the 97th percentile for his weight. His head measures in the 95th percentile and his length in the 75th. The doctor said, "You have a big boy." My sister, whose 6 month old son has consistently measured in the upper ranges for weight so is used to hearing about having a big boy, argues that the doctor should have said, "You have a healthy, breastfed boy." That's better. I mean, it's not like I'm feeding him Cheetos and pizza as he sits on the couch playing video games.

Anyway, Mr. Mister is healthy and checked out well, even showing off some smiles and cute cooing noises for the doctor. Then the nurse came in with the needle. He was already getting fussy, understandably tired of laying on the examining table in just his diaper. Then she stuck him with a nice dose of Hepatitis B vaccine. His face turned bright red, his mouth opened wide to scream but for a couple seconds, nothing came out...he was so tense he couldn't even cry. And then he let it rip. The nurse put a cute purple band-aid on his leg and let me hold him. I cried as I held him...I hated seeing him so scared and upset. I tried to comfort him by telling him he got a cool band-aid out of the whole thing, but he wasn't soothed. He cried until we got in the car and started driving (the fail-proof way to put him to sleep). And this is just the beginning....more vaccinations, then it's scraped knees, mean kids at school, a broken heart....okay let's not get too carried away. He is only 7 weeks old.

No comments: