Thursday, October 4, 2007

Great Grandma & Thoughts on Life


This past weekend Mr. Mister got to meet his Great Grandma Sirotak, my mom's mom. It was special for Mr. Mister to meet her because she is my only living grandparent. He and I met my mom at my grandma's assisted living home for their fall festival. We walked around outside on the beautiful sunny day, me pushing Mr. Mister in the stroller, my mom pushing her mom in the wheel chair. Ahh, the circle of life.

It was fun to have four generations there together. And even though my grandma has dementia and didn't really understand who Mr. Mister was, she got a big smile on her face as she talked to him. When we went inside to her unit, the other residents were gathered for lunch. It was pretty quiet and gloomy feeling as they sat, barely talking, waiting to be served their food. When we brought the baby in the room, however, all of a sudden there was joy. Their faces lit up when they saw him...he transformed the room....the joy of youth and new life brought them a sense of life as well.

Interesting how life works. It can be so hard to visit my grandma there because of the condition each of the residents is in. And I sometimes think, "Is this all we have to look forward to?" Then I am reminded that yes, here on earth, there is no security in youth and life...life is frail and brief. But this life is not all there is...we have hope beyond the deterioration of our bodies....hope in eternity, a life to come that will not end, will not deteriorate, will not disappoint. And that is our real destination.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

The joy that Marcos brought to the residents that day is immeasurable!
I too often consider the circle of life and wonder what my future holds. I know that I should not worry about tomorrow but sometimes that is easier said than done.
Thanks for taking the time to visit grandma. She certainly loved seeing you.