Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Hello, New Year

Happy 2013!  The days just keep going by and all of a sudden it is a new year.  Mr. Mister was sad when we explained that 2012 was over.  I reminded him that when one thing ends, something else begins with opportunity for new adventures and experiences.  That's a lesson I have had to learn (and have to remind myself still), as I vividly remember feeling that same sadness at the end of each year when I was younger.  

This year, I have mixed emotions about leaving behind 2012.  There were some amazing highlights - the birth of our sweet daughter in February obviously tops the list.  Moving to a new house in August with more space and a big yard has also been an incredible gift.  We had some fun vacations and great times with family.  And I am thankful to end the year with everyone healthy.  

We've had some bumps in the road as well.  The process of selling our house was difficult enough to make me never want to move again.  Mr. Newton had a year long battle with molluscum, which included lots of painful blisters while trying to treat it.  I seriously praise Jesus that it is gone.  We spent a weekend at Children's hospital in July with Miss S for croup and visited the ER again this fall for Mr. Newton's dislocated elbow.  We also lost a beloved grandmother and two other relatives (a little more distant) on my husband's side of the family.  

But in all of that, I am thankful for another year of life and the blessings of family and community.  And so thankful that even as years change and life changes and circumstances change, that the Lord remains.  He never changes.  He is always good and always faithful.  And every good and perfect gift comes from Him.

The other night, our family made a list of ten major happenings, both good and bad, from this past year.  One of them was God's provision and faithfulness. It's overwhelming, really, when I look back and see how faithful He has been in every mountaintop and valley that we have experienced.   So as we say goodbye to 2012 and begin the new adventures and experiences of 2013, I trust in the One who was and is and is to come! 

No comments: