Wednesday, July 21, 2010

one of those days

I love these boys.


But today is one of those days that I really needed this encouragement from the Mother of Boys blog (written by guest blogger David Thomas, author of Wild Things):
"I think we’d all agree the world is short on strong and tender, courageous and humble, emotionally healthy, relationally committed, spiritually rooted men. What a privilege and responsibility we’ve been given to contribute to that shortage.
The next time you feel weary in this journey (maybe ten minutes from now), I would challenge you to ask God to give you a picture of who your son is becoming. Pray for attentiveness to see those moments when you are getting glimpses of the man he will be and for the courage to call that out and affirm him. Ask for the ability to enjoy the unique way he was designed and to steward him toward being all of who God made him to be. Pray for gratitude and wonder. And enjoy the wild, adventurous, sometimes complicated, mysterious, laughter-filled, frustrating, imaginative, passionate journey of raising a son."

3 comments:

Megan said...

We had one of those nights last night:) Ian reminded me that it will happen and we shouldn't be surprised by it. But that didn't really make me feel better at the time!

Nancy said...

Wise counsel! Easy to read and digest but oh so difficult to execute. You are a great mom. Think of fun in the sun, warm sand and lots of help from family. See you soon.

Jennifer said...

Oh! This is so beautiful! I'm printing this off for myself. Beautiful!