Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Voting

I know this is my third post tonight, but I just have to say that this morning as I walked out of my polling place after voting, I felt excited, empowered, pumped up, a little giddy, and even kind of teary-eyed. I'm not huge into politics. I like to know what's going on, but I can't tell you all of the details and I tend to lose interest about half way through presidential debates, but today I had a new sense of thankfulness for our right to vote. Maybe it's the high level of anticipation surrounding this election or the four years of maturity I've gained since the last election. But I now see what a real privilege it is to live in a place where we have a voice and where everyone's opinion is considered significant and equal (at least for this day), no matter their gender, race, socioeconomic status, social position, occupation, or political views. That's pretty amazing.

On the voting note, I am also thankful that God's agenda is not political. While our country's president and politics are important, and God does care about the details of our lives, the president of the United States is not God. It brings me a great deal of peace to know that whoever gets elected, God is still God and His agenda is not Republican or Democrat. His agenda is His kingdom. He appoints kings, rulers, and authorities. Nothing surprises Him or catches Him off guard. Nothing thwarts His plans and purposes. He is the ultimate King and His kingdom is everlasting.

No comments: