Thursday, March 27, 2008

The World We Live In

This has nothing to do with my baby....just an observation of our world. Readers Digest wrote an article about the new found dangers of bottled water. It's potentially bad for our bodies and for the environment. They encourage going back to tap water. So, I've regained my appreciation for the basket full of Nalgene water bottles we have in our kitchen. Fill those with tap water and reuse them...no danger to my body, no harm to the environment.

But then today, I was reading an article in my Nutrition Action magazine about the chemical BPA that is found in many plastics and can leak into the food or liquid stored in them, which is harmful to our bodies. A common source of BPA? Nalgene water bottles.

So there you go...the dilemma of a world in which everything causes something. I guess we are forced to choose the lesser of two evils. Or buy a new and body-friendly/earth-friendly Klean Kanteen. Until they find something wrong with that.

PS... can I take a moment, while I'm already on my soapbox, to express one of my pet peeves? I can't stand it when companies change the spelling of words that begin with C to a K. I don't get it. Why can't they just call it Clean Canteen? It bothers me enough that I don't go to stores with those names and I may settle for my BPA emitting Nalgene rather than buying a Klean Kanteen. Okay, I'm done. Thanks for letting me share that.

2 comments:

none said...

Yes- I've been reading up on this too...not just for us, but parents should buy BPA-free bottles (thankfully the big stores carry them and they aren't any more expensive than the standard bottles). It is pretty crazy to think of all the dos and don'ts!

Stinky Pete said...

stopping in to see the new blog...very fun. I've heard about the BPS leaks too. some doctor friends are ours say that it only leaks when the liquid or plastic are brought to high temperatures (ie boiling water or dishwashers) which means baby bottles should be BPA free. If you have put your nalgene through the dishwasher, you should invest in a new one.