Thursday, July 7, 2011

Jellyfish Adventures

I had a pivotal mother of boys experience while we were on vacation.

One day, after a storm the previous night, several dead jellyfish were washed up on the beach.  I thought it would be a great teaching moment so we looked at them up close and talked all about jellyfish.
Curiosity satisfied, I thought.  Oh no....not yet.

A friend that Mr. Mister met at the beach soon came over with two plastic swords in tow.

2 boys + 2 plastic swords + lots of dead jellyfish.....
I'm sure you can guess where this is going.

Yep, they excitedly tried to cut the jellyfish's head off.  I don't think jellyfish even technically have heads, but that was beside the point.  They worked on the jellyfish for a while with their swords while I cringed and really wanted to stop them but knew I should probably let him do it.  I even asked my husband, "Should I be letting him do this?"  To which he enthusiastically replied, "Yes! This is good. This is what boys do."  

Moments later they ran victoriously to the ocean, swords raised above their heads, yelling, "We did it!  We cut the jellyfish's head off!"

I'm sure this is only the beginning!





Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

just remember.. david chopped goliath's head off in the bible! :)

Mark said...

Terrific Post!