Monday, May 2, 2011

Long Locks No More

Today I gave Mr. Newton his first haircut.  I've been wanting to at least trim it for a while but he has such different hair than Mr. Mister...thinner and wispier...so I didn't know how to best cut it.   But faced with yet another rainy day, I decided to give both boys a haircut.  So on a whim, I just cut Mr. Newton's hair with the clippers, on the longest setting possible.

And then I cried.

I want his long hair back! It does look kind of cute, but it's not the same. Long hair was just him. And after looking at pictures from his birthday party this weekend, I got sad again because I love his hair like it was.

My husband and my three year old both wisely reminded me that he's still Mr. Newton no matter what his hair looks like and that hair grows back quickly.  And I just thought of Kate, the little girl whose story I've been following over the past two years.  She has lost all of her hair more than once due to chemotherapy and I'm sure her mom would love for their biggest concern to be a bad haircut.

So I won't let it ruin my day.  But I'm not ready to post a picture.  Maybe later this week once I'm used to it!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

i almost cried reading this.. i am sentimental about strange things too..