Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Back In Action

Like everyone else in this area (and hundreds of thousands in this state) we were without power for a couple days due to the 78 mile an hour winds we had all day on Sunday...remnants of hurricane Ike. We just got our power back on Tuesday at 4:00. It was kind of fun and adventurous to live in the simplicity of no electricity. The hardest part was not being able to cook, although we did make toast, eggs, and coffee on the grill Monday morning (thanks to my outdoorsman husband). Here are some fun things that resulted from our multiple day power outage:
  • We sat outside drinking coffee fresh off the grill with two of our good friends Monday morning. It should have been a work day, but life stood still and we just got to hang out and catch up.
  • Mr. Mister had his first Happy Meal! With nothing to eat or cook, we went to McDonald's for lunch. He had chicken nuggets (without the skin), apple slices, and milk. And it came with a toddler toy, which had no small pieces...brilliant.
  • We enjoyed dinner with my family where we grilled everything that had defrosted from our freezers.
  • I cleaned the refrigerator (what better time than when there's nothing in it).
  • We took naps.
  • We read.
  • We went to bed early.

After our lights came back on, we realized how often we use them when we don't really need them. Now we want to have a candle only night once a week.

Despite all this no-electricity fun, I was glad to use the oven last night and to take a warm shower. It is a reality check, though, when I think of how many people in this world live without these things daily. I hope I'm not so far removed from my dear friends in Neza that I view my conveniences as needs.

No comments: