Saturday, March 22, 2014

O death, where is your sting?

Today my father-in-law's battle with cancer is over.  He passed away very peacefully this morning.  I am so thankful that his family was there with him and had the chance to cover him with prayer and worship in his final hours.  

There is so much I could write.  So much to process.  But for now, I just want to share what Mr. Mister said to me when I told him this morning that Papa passed away.  The first words out of his mouth were:

"Death may win today but in the new life, death won't win anymore.  Daddy told me that."

I cried.  And rejoiced in the overwhelming hope and joy that are in that truth.  I am standing on the promise of 1 Corinthians 15:55...

"Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?  The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.  But thanks be to God!  He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Your father-in-law was a wonderful man. His focus was never on himself, even to the end. The grace with which he fought his cancer will forever be an inspiration for me.