Saturday, November 26, 2011

Mid Life Awakening

Is 30 too young to have a mid life crisis?  But I guess I wouldn't call it a crisis.  I'm not tempted to go buy a tiny red sports car and travel the world.  Quite the opposite actually, as both of those would be impossible at this stage of life.  I think it is better described as a mid life awakening.  An awakening to the fact that yes, I actually am getting older.  I know, 30 isn't that old.  But it's older.  And it's not slowing down.  Here was the scene of my awakening...

We are on the verge of buying a mini van today or tomorrow. We have one we like and are just finishing all of the thinking through of the details.  I don't fear being a mini van mom.  Actually, I've been excited for it because bending over with my 28 week pregnant belly and cramming the boys into the Civic has become harder and harder every week.  So I've actually been looking forward to this so that I can have more room.

But there I was, sitting in the driver's seat in the parking lot with the sun shining down and I noticed as I glanced in the mirror on that sunny afternoon that I had a few more gray hairs sparkling in the sun than I had ever noticed before.

Then I got out and looked at the outside of the van and could see my reflection once again.  Pregnant belly with baby #3, staring at a mini van with gray hairs sparkling.  How did I get to this place in life already?

That's more my question.  It's a great place to be.  I love it and am very content in this place.  It's just really hard to believe that was me staring back at me in the reflection.  Life just keeps going.  And it's not slowing down.

2 comments:

Steph said...

I'm with ya lady! great post.
I colored my hair bc my "crazy grazies" as Kevin likes to call them, were getting out of control. 2 months later and they're showing again!! bah

Elizabeth said...

I am so there too.. and I bet I have more greys than you.. I cant believe Henry is two.. this year went by so fast. I am so jealous that you get a mini van. I would love to be a mini van mom!!!