Friday, August 6, 2010

Potty Training

Maybe you remember this post with pictures of Mr. Mister in his new big boy underwear. Yes, that was in December, back when I thought he would be potty trained before the baby came. In fact, I'm fairly certain that we bought the froggy potty chair last summer.

So this week, with his 3rd birthday coming in a few weeks, I decided to finally do some intentional potty training. He has done wonderfully! I guess there really is value in waiting until they are ready, because it went so smoothly. I know we're only a week in, so we're not in the clear yet, but I'm so proud of him.

Yesterday, Daddy took him to Auto Zone and I forgot he was wearing underwear instead of a pull up, like he had done when we left the house before. They were gone for a good hour and a half with multiple stops. When they got home, Mr. Mister asked me, "Mom, do I have a pull up on?" Which made me remember that he had underwear on instead, so we rushed to the potty. He made it the whole time without an accident!

So today we ventured out again with underwear and he did great.

HOWEVER, with the excitement of no more day time diapers comes new challenges (of course, because every new stage in parenting has new challenges).

1. Getting out of bed at night. Even though he still wears diapers at night, he now says every night after we get him in bed that he needs to go to the potty. It had really made the whole bed time thing a lot longer. The other night he told Daddy, "After you close the door, I'm going to say, Daddy, I have to poop." As always, he never lacks in honesty.

2. Leaving the house. Now we have to go potty before we leave, which takes a long time. Adding that to an already chaotic time trying to get out the door with both boys, I feel like I need to start leaving an hour before we really need to.

3. Public bathrooms. As much as I say, "don't touch," it's nearly impossible to get a toddler on and off the toilet without him touching things I never would. This is a huge stretch for me and my issues with germs so I try not to think too much about it and then I make sure he scrubs his hands afterwards!

2 comments:

The Hamons said...

I feel the same way about waiting. Evan will be 3 in October, and since he turned 2 we've talked about it, read books, he's had his own potty since 2 and he's done both jobs a few times in it, but we've never pushed the issue. It's just never seemed worth the stress to try to force it. Now, as we approach the arrival of our baby #2, it feels as though it will be a much easier, smoother proposition!

I literally laughed out loud at work at your little man admitting that he will have to go poop after you shut the door! that's awesome!

Nancy said...

Ahh, but all the effort will be well worth it in the end! Good job mr. mister!!!