Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Great Art of Fort Building

Today was a cold, snowy day. With nowhere to go, Mr. Mister and I were getting a little stir crazy and needed something new and fun to do. Remembering a list my sister recently emailed me about things to do with toddlers, I decided we would build a fort. This brought back vivid memories of my childhood, when building forts with my brother and sisters was a regular and favorite activity. I remember one that covered our entire basement and had different rooms and hallways and everything. So how hard could it be to make a fort out of a sheet and two couches? Harder than I thought.

Apparently, my creative play skills need to be reawakened from years of lying dormant. I could not figure out how to make it work the best and it took me a few minutes to get it right. After some deliberation and readjusting, our fort was acceptable (not excellent by any means, but we'll work on it). Mr. Mister loved crawling under there and we read books for quite a while under this sheet stretched between couch cushions and the coffee table. Amazing what new scenery can do for making a normal activity into something exciting!

I'm sure this winter Mr. Mister will help reawaken my creative playing skills. I may even perfect the art of fort building.

2 comments:

The Hamons said...

That's awesome!

hawleykj said...

my sweet son has made it very clear that daddy is a much better fort builder than mommy. i will have to work on my skills, too, this winter. of course it could have something to do with the fact that it's easier for daddy to get into the forts :) i take up a lot of room :)