Wednesday, July 18, 2007

On the Soapbox

Today I spent a while organizing the nursery, not to be confused with decorating or painting. If you haven't heard me on my soapbox about the nursery, here's a summary: I'm rebelling against the need to have the cutest nursery ever. I think having a crib in the room makes it cute enough. So I don't have blankets that match light switches that match lampshades that match cute patterns handpainted on the wall. Nope, it's just as neutral as the rest of my house. Here's the disclaimer...in no way am I against the idea of other people creating a cute nursery. I love seeing people's different ideas for their babies' rooms. I just know that it's not my passion and if I were to paint the room yellow with ducks on the wall I would only be doing it to keep up with the Jones and not because I really wanted to put hours into creating this little wonderland.

From the beginning of my pregnancy, people wanted to know two things: 1. Are you finding out what you're having? (we're not) and 2. What are you doing with the nursery? I felt pressured to think of something cute, even though I had no desire to do it. So finally I came to the conclusion that it is okay if I don't paint the walls and have a "theme"... it's just not who I am. So there you have my soapbox. Therefore, the hours I spent washing clothes, taking toys out of the boxes, and putting things in drawers and on shelves was simply organizing. And I think my nursery looks pretty cute.

1 comment:

hawleykj said...

Your nursery looks so cute!! I always felt the pressure too, and I was just never into cutsy baby rooms. Don't worry... your child will not grow a third arm or fail out of school because it didnt have yellow walls with ducks :)